The BowFlex TreadClimber TC20 is their top of the line model. In addition, to being slightly bigger and heavier than the TC10, it comes with upgraded programming that is designed to assist you in achieving your fitness goals. For those who are unfamiliar with the TreadClimber concept, they are designed to be a hybrid between a treadmill, stair stepper and elliptical trainer. The company claims that their patented designed allows you to get a low impact workout that is more efficient than a treadmill.
Bowflex describes it as:
3-in-1 TreadClimber® technology trims your workout time and delivers faster results—guaranteed.†
The TreadClimber® machine is a unique breakthrough in the fitness industry. It combines the actions of the three most effective cardio machines into one:
TREADMILL: Splitting the treadle into two separate belts, the TreadClimber® machine delivers the walking, jogging and running action of a treadmill—and goes a step further. In addition to your legs and glutes, it engages the core muscles that help maintain your balance.
STAIR CLIMBER: The pumping action of the separate treadles replicates the highly effective aerobic exertion of stepping.
ELLIPTICAL: As the TreadClimber® machine's treadles rise to meet your stride, the impact on your joints is reduced, so you enjoy the same smooth, ergonomic motion of the best elliptical machines.
There definitely is some basis to the claims. The Bowflex TreadClimber helps you burn calories at a significantly faster rate than a workout on a treadmill, according to an Adelphi University study. The study found that a 180-pound person burns about 348 calories during a half-hour workout at 3 mph on the TreadClimber. The same person burns about 135 calories in 30 minutes of walking on a treadmill at 3 mph.Recent research reveals that the TreadClimber does in fact burn 2 times the calories of the treadmill.
Today's Sale: Bowflex TreadClimber TC20 - $3,299 at Bowflex.com!
The BowFlex TreadClimber TC20 is designed with dual "treadles". They are like mini treadmill belts for both feet. As you walk the "treadles" move up and down to meet your feet, thus avoiding much of the impact that comes from working out on a treadmill. The TreadClimber is primarily designed for walking and is impractical for running. However, the design provides you with a workout that can be equivalent to the intensity of running.
If you visit the web site or have watched their infomercials, BowFlex claims their TreadClimbers are almost 4x more efficient in burning calories in comparison to a treadmill, however, the comparison is based at walking at 3 mph with the treadmill at a zero incline. Obviously, if you crank up the incline of a treadmill you will burn considerably more calories. Still, the BowFlex TreadClimber TC20 probably will burn more calories with a lesser perceived rate of exertion based on the design. And there is definitely less impact in comparison to a treadmill. There definitely is some basis to the claims but not to the extent they suggest. The Bowflex TreadClimber helps you burn calories at a significantly faster rate than a workout on a treadmill, according to an Adelphi University study. The study found that a 180-pound person burns about 348 calories during a half-hour workout at 3 mph on the TreadClimber. The same person burns about 135 calories in 30 minutes of walking on a treadmill at 3 mph.Recent research reveals that the TreadClimber does in fact burn 2 times the calories of the treadmill.
Bowflex TreadClimber TC20 Features
NEW! G.O. Coach (Goal-Oriented) Technology
Many cardio equipment companies are getting into equipping their machines with motivational technology. On the TC20 you get the G.O. Coach Technology. In summary:
• The G.O. Coach Console is an interactive program that interacts with the user to establish goals, monitor progress and compare results
• Personalize your workout with customized goal-oriented programming
• G.O. Coach™ technology delivers customized programming for two users and goal progress displays
• 3 Landmark Challenges to keep you energized just like being monitored by a personal trainer
• Set, monitor, and track personal fitness goals – and improvements
Bowflex TreadClimber TC20 Features
• Three year warranty coverage in comparison to two years on the TC10
• Longer foot "Treadles" allowing you to position your feet where they are most comfortable.
• 4.5 MPH max speed.
• Compact Design - The width is only 55".
• Wireless heart rate monitor, allowing you to optimize your workout based on your heart rate. This is a technique used by professional athletes.
• Store and track two user stats.
• 217 lbs. unit weight, giving the machine a solid and stable feel.
Bowflex TreadClimber TC20 Review Highlights
The Bowflex TC20 offers the low impact and efficient workout inherent in the design of TreadClimbers; in addition, it is equipped with programming to motivate you to reach your fitness goals and to track your progress. The one major consideration is the price. At approximately $3,300 you may want to consider the alternatives, including ellipticals and treadmills that are rated as light commercial quality.
In particular, elliptical trainers will offer you a similar low impact workout, since your feet never leave the pedals and you move in an elliptical motion. There is no reverse motion, so there is minimal stress and strain to your joints.
Regarding the efficiency of the exercise of the TreadClimber and how that compares to other cardio machines. If you suffer from the impact of a treadmill, and you are not comfortable with an elliptical, then the Bowflex TreadClimber TC20 may be the right equipment for you. The uphill walking motion of the TreadClimbers will definitely burn calories if you push yourself.
Bowflex TreadClimber TC20 - $3,299 at Bowflex.com!
Summary of Reviews by PowerReviews
4.5 out of 5.0 (based on 1085 reviews)
96% of respondents would recommend this to a friend.
• Easy to use (932)
• Sturdy base (894)
• Operates smoothly (868)
• Quiet (558)
• Easy to store (196)
• Hard to store (182)
• Noisy (125)
• Difficult to use (22)
• Wobbles under use (19)
• Pricey / poor value (5)
• General fitness (876)
• Weight loss (807)
• Low impact exercise (795)
• Distance / endurance (507)
• Strength training (273)
Bowflex TreadClimber TC20
Sale Price: $1,199.95
Eligible for free shipping!
5 used from $1,199.95
Work out smarter and more efficiently with the top-of-the-line TreadClimber TC20, which comes with five standard workouts and three "landmark" workouts to raise your heart rate quickly. The Bowflex dual treadle system...
- Top-of-the-line 3-in-1 cardio machine that combines best attributes of treadmill, stair climber, and elliptical
- Burns up to 3.5 times the calories in the same amount of time as other cardio machines
- Low-impact workout is easy on the joints, with low "perceived exertion"; 2 user profiles
- Backlit LCD display tracks speed, time, distance, calories, and HR; 0.5 to 4.5 mph speed range
- 300-pound capacity; measures 31.5 x 55.25 x 55 inches (W x H x D); 3-year warranty